Color postcard of the Chicago & Alton Railroad's extensive freight yard, shops, and roundhouse in Bloomington, Illinois, circa 1910. The freight classification yard is at the left, while the shop buildings are concentrated near rear-center of the image, and the roundhouse is off to the right. The facility at near right is a tie plant for making railroad crossties. Note the proximity of residential property to the heavy industry of the railroad. Bloomington was the main engine and car repair facility on the railroad, and the shops once employed hundreds of workers. The site is representative of many such steam-era facilities. The Chicago & Alton connected Chicago with St. Louis and Kansas City. It was merged into the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio in 1947. None of the shop facilities pictured here remain today.