Thelma Cuvage sifts and cleans sand in the sand house at the Chicago & North Western roundhouse at Clinton, Iowa, in April 1943. The sand is for use in the locomotives, where it is applied to the rails for additional traction when necessary. Mrs. Cuvage's husband works as a guard at the Savannah (Illinois) Ordnance plant. The C&NW employed many women in jobs traditionally held by men at its Clinton shops during World War II. Mrs. Cuvage (1903-82) worked at the Clinton Garment Company after the war.