Classic Illinois Central Railroad electric multiple-unit cars pausing at the Roosevelt Road station in Chicago, September 18, 1970. Roosevelt Road was opposite IC's Central Station. The train is passing under a pedestrian walkway, and the Chicago skyline is visible in the background. Illinois Central built the line and the first commuter service started in 1856. Electrification came in 1926, and 17 years after this photograph was made, IC sold the line to Metra, which operates it today as the Metra Electric District. Not long after the photograph, IC's new double-deck "Highliner" cars entered service, leading to the older, single-level equipment, pictured here, being called "Lowliners."