In 1873, the Green Bay & Minnesota (later known as the Green Bay & Western) opened between Green Bay, a Lake Michigan port on Green Bay, and the Mississippi River about 200 miles west, providing freight service across central Wisconsin. In 1891, the Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western extended a line east to Kewaunee, Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan proper, to gain direct all-weather access to Lake Michigan and enabling it in 1892 to hook up with Lake Michigan rail-ferry service to and from Ludington and Muskegon, Michigan. This route provided fast freight service on the east-west route--faster than lines through Chicago. In 1978, Itel purchased the GB&W. Joseph Galassi, president from 1978 into mid-1980, engaged a professional photographer to show the line at its best. This image was one of the results. It was taken with the aid of Jerold Bruley, then the assistant superintendent, who rose through the ranks from agent-telegrapher to, ultimately, the road's presidency. Bruley traveled with the unidentified photographer and helped select scenes and sites, this one near Arcadia, Wisconsin, in the Trempealeau River Valley. The photographer stood on a hill on the opposite side of the valley to capture this three-unit freight moving through a snow-covered landscape. Itel sold the line in 1993 to the Wisconsin Central.