Norris R. Young of Hanover, Pennsylvania, worked for the Western Maryland as a locomotive fireman. As an enthusiast photographer, Norris was afforded opportunities to make images of railroading during the course of his work. In December 1948, he posed the crew of the local freight (train No. 303/304) that normally served customers on the railroad’s old mainline between Hagerstown and Union Bridge, Maryland. Norris is on the far left. The other members of the crew are identified as engineer G. A. Grogan, conductor W. J. B. Vinson, flagman E. K. Bikle, and brakeman H. A. Shunk. In steam days, before regular use of radios, local freights had five or more crew members. They made switching moves with hand signals, and so several men were needed to transmit signals, set switchpoints, and uncouple/couple freight cars. The locomotive is one of Western Maryland’s heavy 2-8-0 Consolidation types that were standard freight power on that railroad for decades.