The view looks northwest at the main entrance to the Southern Pacific station, Sacramento, about the time the station was dedicated on February 27, 1926. Park-like landscaping appears in front, as well as accommodations for automobiles to discharge passengers in front of the station and for parking.
The Southern Pacific was known for the quality of its station architecture, and the line acknowledged the importance of Sacramento's status as a capital city by providing it with a grand example in the Italian revival style. Railway Age on August 14, 1926, page 273, called the building "one of the most modern stations on the Pacific coast and one of the finest structures in Sacramento." The station continues in use.
The station was designed by Bliss & Faville, architects of San Francisco. It was constructed of steel and reinforced concrete, faced by russet-colored bricks. It originally had a dark russet tile roof. The central room has five-color stencils; later murals were added on the end walls. The exterior and surrounding park and parking lots were clearly influenced by the City Beautiful movement that arose out of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, but this expression was rather late in the life of the movement.