In 1898, the Chicago & North Western commissioned Jackson to make a series of promotional pictures along its routes, using a special photo car. The resulting images are in remarkably faithful color, published in chromolithograph, an early color process. Both the C&NW and Jackson's Detroit Publishing Co., a specialist in chromolithography, distributed copies. The Photochrome, made from black-and-white negatives, was published in 1901. This view look looks north toward Milwaukee's City Hall, the triangle-shaped building with a tower in the middle left. A clock indicates Jackson took the picture at 2:40 p.m.; the year is 1898, according to a contemporary newspaper report. Like many port cities on oceans, the Great Lakes, and major rivers, Milwaukee's rail and water transportation systems intersected. The bridge in the foreground swivels to permit barges and other crafts to take goods to industries along the river, and some of those goods had been brought to Milwaukee by rail.