Illinois Midland Railway freight train powered by its only locomotive, a saddle tank steam locomotive, on a cold winter day between Millington and Newark, Illinois. The 1.9-mile Illinois Midland connected the farming community of Newark with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad main line in Millington. It opened on Valentine's Day 1914, thanks to the efforts of promoter S.G. Durant, who fled to the south with money from stock sales immediately after the first train ran. A group of local farmers then formed a syndicate and purchased the line, which they operated and eventually sold to the Newark Farmers Grain Company. The railroad continued to haul grain, coal, and lumber until 1967, when arson destroyed a bridge on the line, prompting its closure. Trucks then took over the freight business.