The Southern Pacific’s first steam locomotive, named the “C. P. Huntington” in honor of one California’s four leading railroad developers, holds a place of honor at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento. Danforth, Cooke & Company of Paterson, New Jersey, built it in 1863 for the Central Pacific, which assigned it the number “3.” It was shipped around Cape Horn and arrived in California in 1864 for use in building the first transcontinental railroad. The Southern Pacific acquired it from the Central Pacific in 1871 as its first locomotive, renumbering it “1.” SP used it for many years as a corporate ambassador and in 1964 donated it to the State of California. It is the only surviving standard gauge 4-2-0 locomotive in the United States. The wheel arrangement was popular for early locomotives, but larger, more powerful designs quickly supplanted it. It is an outstanding example of preservation by both a railroad and government.