The Badger #2 Fish Car, significant for its part in the development of a major leisure-time industry in Wisconsin, returned to Mid-Continent Railway Historical Society, North Freedom, Wisconsin, in December 2009 after a 13-month, $950,000 restoration at Avalon Rail in West Allis, Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Fish Commission car, built by Pullman in 1912, was among dozens of state and federal fish cars operating throughout the nation and was the second official fish car used by the state of Wisconsin. It carried fish for planting in the state's lakes and streams for 33 years until 1945 when it was sold to Walter H. Knapp Co. in Milwaukee. Mid-Continent acquired it in 1960. Half of the restoration funds came from a challenge grant from the Jeffris Foundation, one of the only foundations in the U.S. devoted exclusively to historic preservation.