Steam locomotives over the ash pit at the roundhouse and coaling station at the Chicago & Northwestern Railway's yards in Chicago, December 1942. The coaling station is the large, tower-like building in the middle of frame, built from concrete. The smaller tower at right holds sand, which the locomotives carry for extra traction. Engine #2576, a class J-S 2-8-2 freight locomotive, was built by Alco-Dunkirk in 1923. It received an automatic coal stoker in April 1942.