Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad 24-in. gauge steam locomotive no. 8, a 2-4-4T built by Baldwin in 1907, at Farmington, Maine. The locomotive is shown in front of Maine Central Railroad standard gauge passenger cars at the station. The state of Maine was the only place in the U.S. to have an extensive network of 24-in. narrow gauge railroads (36-in. was far more common for narrow gauge lines throughout the rest of the country). Maine's "two-footers" thrived in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and the SR&RL was the most extensive system, reaching 112 route-miles from the Maine Central connection in Farmington to several small towns and farming communities to the north, on two principal routes. The rise of the automobile brought decline to these small, locally-oriented railroads, and the Great Depression spelled the end. The SR&RL ceased operations in 1935 and most of its equipment was scrapped or burned.